Carbonara with Leeks and Lemon
6 slices bacon, cut crosswise in 1-inch pieces
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 leeks (white and light green parts only) sliced lengthwise, rinsed and sliced thin
12 oz. pasta such as campanelle or orrichette
2 large eggs
¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese, grated, more for garnish
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. lemon juice
½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Set a large pot of water to boil.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat, add leeks, season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt to boiling water in pot and cook pasta according to package directions, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk ¼ cup pasta water into mixture.
- Drain pasta and immediately add to the egg mixture, stirring to combine. Add bacon and parsley and correct seasoning. Serve immediately and pass grated cheese if desired.
Source: “Everyday Food”, November 2011
Copyright © 2001-2012 by The Still Waters Group
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: News and information about help authoring tools and software