1 tbsp. (3 tsp./25g) active dry yeast
9 tbsp. sugar
1 cup milk
¼ lb./125g butter
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. salt
4 cups (+) all purpose flour
(10 cardamom seeds, ground)
1 to 1 ½ cup/250gr ground poppy seeds
¾ to 1 cup/200 ml milk
3 tbsp./100gr sugar
¼ lb./50gr butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract (1 pkg Vanillinzucker)
(50gr chopped almonds)
(Grated rind of 1 lemon)
Pre-heat Oven to 375°F/180°C
- Start the yeast in a cup with the warm water, yeast and sugar.
- Stir poppyseeds, milk and sugar over medium heat and allow to boil until the milk is nearly all taken up. Remove from stove.
- Stir in the butter, raisins, almonds, vanilla and lemon rind and allow to cool.
- Place the flour in a bowl, add the yeast mixture and stir. Then add the remaining ingredients and beat until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Let rise until doubled in volume.
- Punch down and knead until the bubbles are gone, then roll out about ½ inch thick. Paint with soft butter.
- Spread the filling over the center and one side of the dough. Fold the other side over the filling and roll over the rest of the filling. Pinch the dough together. Let the cake rise a second time.
- Bake in the lower part of the oven 34-40 minutes. During the last 10 minutes, paint the top with butter. After removing from the oven, dust with Confectioner’s Sugar.